Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What I eat

When I talk about my low glycemic diet with friends, they all have the same question with the same bewildered look on their face . . . What can you even eat?

I eat a lot of things. It's not all veggies. Sure my lunches have changed from eating peanut butter and jam sandwiches to Caprese, which might very well be the best thing on the planet, but I'm happy making the change. Seriously though, caprese is good stuff. It's fresh and all natural. Sometimes I eat the Caprese with just mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil. Sometimes I eat it will a slice of artisan bread. Most artisan breads don't have sugar or honey in it, so it's safe for those who are cutting back on sugar.
Mmmm look at it. How can you not love this stuff?

I also eat a lot of avocados on artisan toast. It has always been a longtime treat. When I don't have bread handy I make guacamole by mixing my homemade fresh salsa, a sprinkle of garlic powder, and avocados. My homemade salsa recipe comes from my good friend Annette. Click here to get the best salsa recipe you'll ever taste. The only difference between her recipe and mine, is I omit the sugar and I use tepin chiles vs a jalapeno. Tepin chiles look like small orange peas, and they are dry. I usually use two tepin chiles for the whole batch for a mild salsa. The chiles can be found at any Latino market.
For dinner I sometimes make the traditional spaghetti using whole wheat pasta and homemade marinara sauce. When I make my marinara sauce I don't ever measure, so I'll describe my recipe the best I can. I use low salt tomato sauce and paste, however much you need for your family. Then I add seasonings, which include garlic powder, onion powder, salt free Italian seasonings, and a little extra basil (I love basil). My secret ingredient that always makes a difference is 1/8 tsp (or less) of cayenne seasoning. Then of course I serve it with some kind of steamed veggie.

If spaghetti doesn't satisfy the demands of the hungry booger pickers, I fix balsamic chicken, tacos, or curry. My kids love the curry the best. Over the next few months I hope to add more of my favorite recipes to this blog, so tune in often.

As for snacks, I find whatever I can that is low glycemic. My favorite treat I've found is Larabars. Click here to see their site. I've only ever tried apple, cherry, and peanut butter. You can buy a box of them at costco. What I love about them is they have very few ingredients. The peanut butter one has three ingredients; dates, peanuts, sea salt. Oh, it's so good. The cherry has dates, almonds, and unsweetened cherries. As a bonus they are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, non-GMO, vegan and kosher. If you haven't had one, try them. I'd choose them over any granola or protein bar out there.

So, these are just a few examples of what I eat. Going out to eat is a whole different ball game. There are times it becomes extremely discouraging. I'm limited to where I can eat. I try to stick with Mexican grill, Thia or Japanese restaurants. They seem to be the safest.


Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover