Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sugar Free Apple Pie


I told you all in one of my previous posts that I was starting a new adventure of baking and cooking with no sugar, and it has been an adventure. There are recipes that don't turn out as perfectly as I would have liked. This apple pie is one of them.
Don't get me wrong, it was delicious. In fact it was better than most apple pies because it wasn't too sweet. I could taste more apple than sugar. The problem was in the crust. It didn't look pretty.
I know it sounds stupid, but I like my food to look pretty. With that said, I would change only one thing . . . I would refrigerate my crust dough before rolling it out. Yep, that's it.

Sugar Free Apple Pie

Filling:
6 large Ganny Smith apples, peeled and sliced.
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp stevia powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour

Crust:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons water

First, make your crust by cutting coconut oil into flour, then add water and continue cutting until well blended. It should look like this . . .
 

Next, peel and slice apples and put in large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together flour, stevia, and cinnamon then sprinkle over apples and mix until apples are well coated.

After refrigerating dough for 30 min, split dough into two and roll one half between wax paper, rolling out the edges. If you notice in the picture below that there is a lump in the middle. You should roll it out until eventually it's flat and three inches bigger than your pie pan. Carefully flip it over into pie dish.
Add apples to pie dish . . .
And roll out the other half of your pie crust and place on top. I recommend, once you've rolled it out, to remove one side of wax paper, replace it, then flip it over and remove the other side. It's easier to get the crust off once you've already peeled it off. I hope that makes sense. Once you have it on top, pinch the sides together and tuck inside the dish, then sprinkle with milk and a pinch or two of stevia powder. Bake at 375 for 50 min to 1 hour.
My attempt on this didn't work as planned, as it was too warm in my house and the coconut oil was on the verge of melting. I believe it will be easier if it was a wee bit cold. My pie ended up looking like an old quilt that has been patched far too many times.
Here is the tasty result . . .
I found that the coconut oil made the crust flakier than using shortening. Not having the sugar makes the apples stand out even more. I loved this pie, even if it was a little homely looking. ;)

Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover