Monday, October 21, 2013

Beef and Veggie Stew

There are a gazillion soups out there to make, and let's face it, beef and vegitable stew has fallen off the grid. Besides minstroni, beef and veggie stew is my favorite. It reminds me of my childhood. So, in an effort to revive a much beloved comfort food, I give you my recipe of the savory goodness.

Beef and Veggie Stew
1 package stew meat
2 tablespoons olive oil, canola oil, or avocado oil
around 8 to 10 carrots peeled and chopped to bite size
4 medium size potatoes (I use red and I leave a bit of the skin on)
1 medium size onion chopped
4 tsp chopped garlic
1 bay leave
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 dried basil
6 bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste
enough water to cover veggies and meat in slow cooker
Thickener:
2/3 cup water
4 tablespoons flour

First, add meat and oil into a hot pan over medium high heat. Cook for five minutes until all sides have 'browned' (Insides will still be uncooked). Add meat and chopped veggies into slow cooker. Add water then all other ingredients minus thickener. Cook all day long on a low setting or for at least four hours on high. Once cooked and tender, mix 2/3 cup water and flour together until nicely blended (if you have difficulty getting the lumps disolved, just strain the mixture). Pour thickener into slow cooker and stir. You want it to be slightly thick, not as thick as gravy, but not thin like soup.
It makes enough for a family of six.

In the picture above I made homemade bread that I substituted the sugar with stevia powder. If you're eating a low glycemic diet like I am, then you can find breads without sugar or honey in the bakery department of the grocery store. All the specialty breads they bake fresh daily are sugar free (at least it is at the store where I shop, you might want to check). The recipe I used came from a company that makes bread from start to finish in one hour. If you're interested in receiving this recipe you'll have to contact a consultant who works for the company at http://www.pantrysecrets.com/
I have made their bread for a few years now and have loved both the white and wheat recipes. They are moist and last longer than other homemade breads out there.

Whatever bread you use to soak up the last drops of deliciousness, you won't be disapointed in the stew. I hope you enjoy it!

Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover