Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Salads and Dressings

Check this out . . .
I know, it looks good doesn't it.
Have you ever wondered what they put in dressings? I go cross-eyed when I read the labels of some foods, wondering the the heck they are adding to something that should be so simple. Food shouldn't be that complicated.
This recipe is so simple and has only 5 ingredients. I usually don't time myself when I make meals, but this dressing really only takes minutes to make and is by far better than any dressing out there. My Grandma came up with this recipe, so all credit goes to her. Thanks Grandma.

Grandma West's Blue Cheese Dressing
3 small containers of crumbled blue cheese
15 oz mayonnaise (Best Foods is best, but don't use Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup buttermilk
garlic powder (Not garlic salt--seriously don't add any salt to this or you'll be overwhelmed)
black pepper

Here's whatcha want to do . . .
Mix your mayo and buttermilk together then add blue cheese. Sprinkle a small amount of garlic powder in at a time, tasting as you go. I can't tell you how much to add, as we all have different tastes. Keep in mind that as the dressing sits the garlic will become stronger. Add a few shakes of black pepper and again, you be the judge on how much you'd like.

See how simple it can be. And don't throw the blue cheese containers away. Use them to store your dressing in. I should warn you, it will disappear fast, especially if you have children who love to dip crackers and bread into it, devouring every drop.

This next one is almost as easy as the first. Take a look-see . . .
This is my version of Taco Salad

The Best Taco Salad
1 pound ground beef (I use lean)
1 can low sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tomato sliced
1 avocado sliced
1 cucumber sliced
Your choice of shredded cheese
1 head of Green Leaf lettuce (if you use iceberg lettuce I will shake my head at you and wonder if you have taste buds at all)

Brown your beef over medium heat until cooked through. Add kidney beans and seasoning and cook for another minute or two. Assemble your salad how ever you prefer then add meat on top. You can use regular old ranch dressing if you aren't watching what goes into your body, or you can mix a pinch of Italian seasoning and sour cream together and use in place of the ranch.
My family likes to add pieces of chips to the salad to give it more crunch.

Let me know what you think of it. I'd love to hear from you all!

Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover