Saturday, November 16, 2013

Minestrone Soup

This is one of those recipes made for a slow cooker and one that will also fill your house with a mouthwatering savory scent. The best time to make this soup is on a rainy day and when you know you'll be busy in the evening and don't want to fuss with cooking and loads of dishes to clean.

Minestrone Soup
1 pre-cut package of stew meat
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 to 3 cups water
2 cans diced tomatoes (low sodium)
5 cubes beef bouillon
1 can of kidney beans drained and rinsed (or garbanzo beans or both)
Carrots (how ever many you desire)
1 onion diced
2 to 3 tsp diced garlic
A half a head of cabbage chopped
1 zucchini chopped to bite size pieces
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
Pasta shells

Brown all sides of meat in hot pan over medium high heat. Don't cook all the way through, just lightly brown. Put meat in slow cooker along with everything else, excluding pasta shells. Slow cook all day on low. Once you're ready to eat, cook pasta shells and add to individual bowls. I wouldn't add pasta to entire thing, pasta can get a bit soggy if added to soup and left in the fridge. I like to top soup with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Pin It

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Christine! I have had so much fun looking at your blog! You inspire me to do more art! I am more of a painter though and, like you said, little kids and paint don't mix. I need to get out the ol' pencils and erasers and get to work! You are so talented! I am so impressed and can't wait to try some recipes!
~Karen LeGendre

JaredChristineWalter said...

Thanks for your comment Karen! I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog. My choice of mediums have always been oils, but for reasons I've mentioned before, I've focused on improving my pencils. I'd love to see some of your work. Keep me posted on how the recipes work out.
-Christine

 
Pin It button on image hover