Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What I learned

So as some of you know I recently attended LDS Storymakers Conference. A few posts before I mentioned that I would post what I learned at that conference. Well, now I'm finally getting around to doing it. I learned a butt load of useful information and it would take an incredible amount of time to write everything, so I'll just share a few.
1. I need to be careful with info dumps at the beginning of my stories.  The story needs to move and keep the reader's interest, not overload them with the past.
2. Instead of telling how someone felt or what their reaction was, show it.  For example;
She was stunned when she noticed the lock was missing.
Okay... How about this;
Her breath caught in her throat when she noticed the lock was missing.
Better?  This is only a simple example.  There are several ways to write how someone is stunned, but I hope you get the idea.
3. Don't start every sentence with I, or She, or the name of the character. (It will depend on your POV)  This is something I need to work on.
4. If you're going to write action novels make sure you put your character in realistic situations.  If you have your character escaping from being duct tape to a chair, then duct tape yourself to a chair and see how you can get out. Don't have them doing impossible things just because it sounds cool. Act out their fight scenes so you don't have them ending up twisted in a heap on the ground.
5. There are many rules to writing fantasy.  I can't go into it all now, but make sure your fantasy hero isn't all powerful with their magic.  They have to have a weakness.

Anyway, as I said, there are tons more things I could write, but it would take too long and I have kids that need to get to bed.
I hope I was of some help in sharing what I now know.
Have a fantabulous day!

Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover