Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Sweet Adventure!

You all know my passion for art and writing, but only a few of you know how much I love to bake and cook. When I was nine years old I began my training in the kitchen. At first it was an excuse to get out of pouring concrete, framing walls and hauling boards for whatever house my family might be building at the time. Because of my success in making delicious biscuits and gravy it became my job to feed my hard working family. It took several tries to perfect the heavenly deliciousness that is cookies (my brother still calls them bullets), but from what everyone says now, they are superb.

To tell you the truth, it's been awhile since I spent quality time in the kitchen making anything more than cheese quesadillas for my kids. With the amount of weekdays my husband travels and the dramatic change in my diet, I've lost my fever for cooking and baking.

Today that changed a bit. I have three large bags of peaches sitting on my counter, nearly ready for canning. The weather has always affected my need for baking, and with fall coming on and the peaches calling my name, I decided to figure out how to make peach cobbler without sugar.

This recipe of peach cobbler will kick start my adventure in baking without sugar or honey (yes it sucks that I can't eat either, but my health has improved and it's getting easier). I finished making this recipe only an hour ago, and as we speak I am devouring the warm goodness of the peaches and fluffy perfection of the cobbler.

Without further ado...



Sugarless Peach Cobbler

Filling:
5 cups fresh peaches, sliced
1 cup no sugar added apple juice
1 1/4 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Stevia (Sweet Leaf's Sweet Drops (liquid form))
 

Topping:
1 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons of powdered Stevia
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 to 2/3 cup milk

Add sliced fresh peaches, half of apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and liquid Stevia in pot over medium/high heat. Mix the remaining apple juice and cornstarch together then add to bubbling mixture in pot. Stir until liquid thickens.


Mix together in bowl: Flour, powdered Stevia, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Then cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Slowly add milk while cutting with pastry cutter. Mixture needs to be a bit sticky, but not too sticky.

Pour peaches into large pie dish or 9x9 glass dish. Spoon topping over peaches and bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until dark golden.



I hope those of you who don't eat sugar will enjoy this recipe, for the rest of you lucky ducks who eat sugar without restraint, I will someday post my recipes I used to make (I know there are several who would love my oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe). Until then, try this cobbler out and let me know what you think.



Pin It

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover